0) It is AWKWARD! . . At first. . . you are going out where other people can see you, putting on your running shoes and trying to run.. trying being the operative word. . but it gets better and then you stretch farther, before you know it you are that girl doing her BURPEES and push ups on the park bench where everyone can see and some random guy in a truck is going to honk and whistle at your ass in those same running pants you weren’t comfortable in 1 month ago. .
And ok ok I know objectifying women is bad, but when that man honks at your fine looking ass, that is doing those squat jumps on the side of the road. . . take it as a win.
1) I am slow. . ..
I mean SLOW. . . but that doesn’t stop me I keep putting one foot in front of the other!
2) The distance around the park is the same for everyone! I may be slower than molasses but when i make it all the way around that park I have ran 3.2 miles just like the guy that passed me way back on mile 1 that I never saw again.
3) Girl that looks like this just may kill her, the hunched back turtle run. . Girl I feel you! But look at you, you crawled out of bed this morning at the butt crack of dawn just like the rest of us and there you go. . .you are running! You Go Girl!
4) Fast or Slow we are all in some sort of sick club. We somehow have tricked our bodies into thinking this is fun and now we are in this together. When you pass that same elderly man on the same curve around the park everyday you do the half nod and you both know, you got this. When you see the mom pushing the double stroller and you think hell I can barely drag my own weight up this hill let alone another human beings and all of their stuff! But you know, you are both pulling for each other and together you got this.
5) Not everyday is race day. So yeah some people on this 3 mile loop may have to run that loop 12 times to train for their upcoming race. And some of us are just barely making around 1 time. But you know what, those people running 12 times around all started somewhere, they may have started long ago, but everyone of them made that first 3 mile loop and felt like a total badass just like us.
6) YOU ARE A TOTAL BADASS!
Let’s just be clear the person that ran that 1 loop or half a loop or that first mile you are a badass! just as much as that man that runs a marathon for a warm up! So strut your stuff and let the world know.
7) Treadmill running is just not the same. . . and I don’t mean in difficulty, running on a treadmill makes it seem like some sort of competition compared to the person next to you, out on this trail every more feels like a community, a silent, crunching by community. You are connected to all the other people that have ran on this same crunchy trail!
8) It isn’t all about speed or distance. choose one! When I first started running I thought I had to run fast and run far, and for about 2 months I couldn’t run any farther or faster than I could when I started, I was trying to do too much at once. So I started concentrating on distance and not speed. . see number 2 (distance is all the same) a 12 minute mile is the same distance as a 6 minute mile.So I started increasing my distance weekly and am now I can run a whole 2 miles farther than I could during those first 2 months.
9) It isn’t all about the scale .. I have lost about 30 pounds since January 2015 and that seems like a huge deal to me! But really the fact that I can run 3.5 miles without keeling over is so much more important. You may not see a huge difference on the scale all the time, but hell you are getting stronger, faster and those are the things that matter, the scale and the weight will come!
10) You don’t have to be in LuLu lemon or some other fancy running clothes to be a runner. If you are putting your feet out there and moving you are a runner. Your clothing doesn’t dictate that. But I will go with the splurge on the running shoes theory. Mostly because your feet will thank you!
11) Everyday is a fresh start. Ok yesterday’s run sucked, it was half as far and took twice as long as it was supposed to. Or you had to walk before the schedule walk time. But today is a new day and you are gonna kill it. And guess what even with yesterdays run as your starting point . . .YOU ARE STILL A BADASS!
❤ Kelsi Rae